Glimpses of my Trip

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Even Better and Even Worse

Since I have gotten back from India one of the questions that always seems to come up in conversations is "Was it what you were expecting?" And the only response I can possibly give is "not at all - even better and even worse"

Some explanation -


Even better -- I can't even put into words how amazing the people of India are...we were told ahead of time of what to expect but it still flabbergasts me how loving and giving EVERYONE was. The people there truly know how to love and love well. A part of me was sad knowing what kind of culture I was coming home to. It was a refreshing, rejuvenating time for me in that aspect.

Many of the christians in India I met have been through and are going through harder times in their lives than most of us here can even imagine - and yet their faith is beyond belief. I saw so many examples of "faith like a child" - examples of who I want to become.



Even worse -- The villages we visited were nothing like I had envisioned. I knew that I would see and hear things that would not be easy, but I never realized how attached I would feel to some of the people or how deeply I would continue to feel their pain. My heart aches for the people there who are suffering - who live so close to the drug companies but yet have little or no access to medications. One little boy hit home the hardest...


His name is David, he's seven months old and he has a kidney problem. His older brother died of a kidney problem at seven months old and he has an older sister who cannot walk and is three years old. My heart hurts for this baby and his family. He is such a happy child and yet life has been so rough for him. I pray for him often and sometimes I catch myself wondering if how long he has to live. Given the chance I would have snatched him up and brought him home with me.





My time in India was filled with stories like these - and I truly believe God blessed me by keeping my tears away. I tend to be a crier and I had prayed I would not break down in front of these people - I wanted to be strong for them, not a sobbing mess. And He answered my prayer. He helped me keep emotionally separate in order to do His will. Otherwise I never would have had the strength to continue.


















If asked before I left for India, I never could have guessed how strong of a hold India would have on my heart. I honestly can not imagine my future without India in it.























0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home