Glimpses of my Trip

Thursday, September 14, 2006

You have to meet Sheela!



This is Sheela. She actually works for the Bible League and came along with us as a translator. I absolutely LOVE Sheela! I have to say I think she was the most fun of anyone I met in India. While she is very much a lady, she had no problem telling us that she wants to marry a man that can cook and clean because she does not do those things ---not very common in India! We all decided we were going to find her a man who is domesticated because she is very much a city girl!

During our time in India the heat was often stifling, and many times it ran through my head that I just needed time for my body to adjust to India. The phrase from the movie "Fools Rush In" is perfect to describe how we felt - "The white people are melting!" Then, come to find out, Sheela was miserably hot too! One of my favorite Sheela phrases is "It is not this hot in Bangalore" (where she is from) She kept telling us that we needed to visit her because it was much more comfortable and their Bangalore had A.C. It was nice to know it was not just us that the heat was effecting.

Lanette, Jennifer and I were blessed to get to spend some time at the beach along the Bay of Bengal. Esther, her children and her church family took us to the beach one of our last days in India and it was Sheela's first time ever to put her feet in ocean water! She was so excited and giggly that it made the rest of us excited also! It was such a blessing to get to be there with our new friend and she got to experience the fun and excitement of something so simple yet so amazing! I love the nature - especially the beach and water - so as I stood there laughing, smiling and taking pictures, I could feel God. He was right there with us playing in the sand and the water. It was awesome!



I miss Sheela. She is an amazing woman and I can't wait to get to India again to see her!

More Sheela stories to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home